Welcome!



Welcome to my blog! I figure this is the best way to keep everyone stateside updated on my escapades in foggy, foggy England, so bear with me as I get the hang of this! I'll try to update at least once a week, so standby for more posts and please remember to comment!

Monday 20 December 2010

Snow Day

So this post is coming a little late, but my Michaelmas Term essay owned my life until Thursday afternoon, when I happily handed it in and then returned a zillion books to the library. Turning in a paper here is like applying for a passport...too many steps. I had to submit my essay at the Exam Schools submission desk, with two copies in a sealed envelope that had only my candidate number, then in a separate sealed envelope INSIDE the larger envelope a signed declaration with my name and essay title on it. Then when I handed it over they gave me a receipt for my paper so I can prove I turned it in. Ridiculous.

I was supposed to leave on a British Airways flight on Saturday to come home for Christmas. Little did I know that it would start snowing that morning and that BA would shut EVERYTHING down because of this. All flights canceled.  Not delayed, not rebooked. Just canceled. So, after a 5 hour bus ride back to Oxford (snow on the roads=traffic), I am now back in my flat, with a new flight on Continental that is hopefully leaving on Tuesday, and looking out my window at the foot or so of snow that got dumped on Oxford.

Good news is, it's pretty! I went out yesterday afternoon to buy some food (since I had gotten rid of it all since I was supposed to leave yesterday) and took my camera with me:

View from my window

Outside to door to my flat

Meagan and I made snow angels...her's in way prettier than mine. Apparently there's a learning curve to snow angel-making.

Telephone booth in the snow

The statue in front of the Bodleian Library...lookin' fancy in his snow-shawl

The Radcliffe Camera

Hertford College quad

Snowy trees

Meanwhile I am pretty much stuck here chillin' with my suitcase all packed. I managed to watch two full seasons of Castle...which I have learned is AWESOME. Crime shows like Law & Order and Bones are totally my guilty pleasure, and this one also combines literary nerdiness. Also there is an episode where they go to an underground steampunk club. Where do I sign up?

I am such a sucker for steampunk
 
Hopefully I will be able to get out of here tomorrow morning in spite of all the snow, since I'd rather not be stuck here for Xmas. I hope everyone else if having a lovely holiday; and wish me luck!

KQ

Sawako makes snow seem kyaa-tastic even when it's grounding my flight

1 comment:

  1. Whew-hoo! I'm glad you just make your connecting flight! Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete