Welcome!



Welcome to my blog! I figure this is the best way to keep everyone stateside updated on my escapades in foggy, foggy England, so bear with me as I get the hang of this! I'll try to update at least once a week, so standby for more posts and please remember to comment!

Sunday 14 November 2010

Geek Quiz Answers

So since a few of you made brave forays into the world of geekdom and took a stab at some of my questions, I thought I'd make a post honoring your valor with some answers and some awards.  I did end up getting coerced into attending the Geek Quiz last week, but I'll tell you about it in a proper post tomorrow or Tuesday. For now, the scoreboard:

Obviously Kenny won but honestly he has no excuse not to.  Drew rocked it out with three correct answers and Janet wowed me with her geek knowledge, coming in just behind him. Breakdown and answers are as follows:

1. What are the first names of all four Hogwarts founders?
ANSWER: Godric (Gryffindor), Salazar (Slytherin), Helga (Hufflepuff), Rowena (Ravenclaw)

Janet, Laurie, Kenny, Drew, and Hannah all got this question right! You guys make me so proud! *wipes away tears* I'm glad everyone's getting prepared for the 7th movie next week!








2. When confronted with a Weeping Angel, what is the one thing you should  absolutely NOT do?
ANSWER: Blink

Janet bravely attempted this question but unfortunately was still a little off, which I have to say is still pretty good for never really having watched Doctor Who. Drew and Kenny, who both hold the advantage of having seen the episode in question, got it right.










 3. "Hagaren" is an abbreviation for the title of what popular anime/manga?
ANSWER: Hagane no Renkinjutsushi (Fullmetal Alchemist)

First of all: Janet you are my frickin' hero. I can't believe you got this right! Drew understandably but incorrectly guessed Gurren Lagann, and Kenny practically lives in my head so he had no reason to get this wrong.

4.  Name Andrew Wiggin's two siblings (and, for bonus points, their pseudonyms).
ANSWER: Peter and Valentine Wiggin, pseudonyms Locke and Demosthenes respectively 

 Kenny was the only one who got this question. The trick of it is, of course, remembering that Andrew is the real first name of Ender Wiggin. I thought about giving the clue that Andrew is a Third, but I thought that might give it away. Drew, you need to brush up on your Ender's Game - no excuses!













5. Who shot first, Han or Greedo?
ANSWER:  Han shot first in the original release of A New Hope, although Lucas (curses be upon him) changed the scene in the 1997 re-release so that Greedo fires first, making Solo's shot appear to be self-defense. We all know this is the most horrendous form of sacrilege and should never, ever, be acknowledged as truth.

I think the lack of context here made this question a little too hard. My bad, guys. But still, you can never have enough Star Wars trivia.















Bonus: Name Asimov's three laws of robotics in order.
ANSWER: 
1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey any orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Well played, Drew, for rocking these out. Kenny and Mom piggybacked on your success here. Have you finished the Foundation novels yet, btw? I miss the robots in those.















Thanks for playing guys, that was fun! It was great seeing all your answers come in and I'm glad that a detailed knowledge of Harry Potter is commonplace among my friends. Again, I'll do a proper post in a day or two, so look out for more Oxford adventures in the near future!

KQ

1 comment:

  1. @Drew
    Speaking of Ender's Game, I had a brilliant idea the other day about a book JK Rowling should write. Okay, run with me on this. Wouldn't it be cool to read a book like Ender's Shadow, except Harry Potter's Shadow, and it would be all about what Neville & Co. did at Hogwarts in the 7th book, since they were there the whole time dealing with Snape as Headmaster while Harry, Ron, and Hermione were camping in the woods. Right? Tell me you wouldn't want to read that book.

    ReplyDelete